Advertisements

WW1 Photos Centenary Website: 2014-2018 By Paul Reed

Unseen Gallipoli Images

The Gallipoli campaign has long fascinated me as my grandfather and two great uncles fought there and I have made many trips to those haunting and fascinating battlefields where the campaign was fought. From a photographic point of view Gallipoli took place in a period of the war when there were no official photographers; what images we have of it were taken by press correspondents or by soldiers who took illicit cameras with them.

I was pleased therefore to acquire a series of previously unseen images taken during the campaign in 1915 showing locations in and around the British sector at Cape Helles. There is no clue as to who took them or what they did at Gallipoli, but I have quite a few examples of images put into postcard format dating from the Gallipoli operations.

The image above is taken from in front of the ruins at Seddulbahir and shows the beached SS River Clyde which spearheaded the landings on V Beach on 25th April 1915. This photo appears to have been taken much later in the campaign; the ship remained there until after the war when it was eventually re-floated, renamed and sadly scrapped in the 1950s.

Other images show positions in occupation by troops, which one caption states were from the 42nd (East Lancs) Division, who fought at Gallipoli and suffered heavy losses in the fighting at Krithia. The image above shows the entrance to Gully Ravine, a long gully that ran towards Krithia. At the end shown it in the photo it reached the sea and became a major reserve, communications and billeting area for British troops.

The other images may appear on Great War Photos at a later stage, although I am currently gathering material for a possible publication and maybe even an App – watch this space!

Advertisements

11 responses

1. flanders fields

what gems, as you say haunting and fascinating

24/01/2013 at 09:41

• devonportgun

Outstanding photos. My Great Uncle James McGinley, 17608, 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was KIA 4th June 1915 @ Third Battle of Krithia. His name is on the Helles Memorial

27/01/2013 at 07:53

2. Wow truly oustanding post! Currently looking into Suffolk Regiment (5th Battalion involvement in Gallipoli Campaign!)

27/01/2013 at 21:17

3. Pingback: Çanakkale Savaşından görülmemiş fotoğraflar | TrendyPot

4. Mustafa Onur YURDAL

Thanks for all sharing, specially about Gallipoli. If u have photos of demolished Turkish Monuments in Gallipoli can u shrae with us?Thanks a lot.

07/04/2013 at 22:35

5. Alex. McElwee

I have in my position a manuscript entitled “with the 5th Scots to Gallipoli” it originally had some prints of photos of the landings & battle etc. which have been lost. The author was a soldier in the 5th Scots & apparently after the war he toured the UK giving accounts of the whole expedition, on behalf of his Battalion using this manuscript, with “slides” (magic lantern”). I was wondering if the Royal Scots have a copy of these photos & or Lecture manuscripts? & ifso if it was possible to get copies of these pictures to go along with the lecture to pass onto his family & whoever else was interested.

20/11/2014 at 07:43

6. Alex. McElwee

Sorry regarding the above post the soldiers name was Walter Meal, & the 1/5th left Portobello on the 10th March 1915 & sailed on the “Caledonia” there apparently was 39 “slides” that went with this presentation. All named & marked when to be shown during the presentation.

20/11/2014 at 08:05

• sommecourt

Was this soldier an officer?

20/11/2014 at 08:43

• Alex. McElwee

No, from what I can gather from his graphic monologue. He does mention some officers one of which all the men seemed to admire a Captain Macrae

21/11/2014 at 03:05

• sommecourt

Ok, the photos were taken by an officer. Drop me an email on ww1centenary@gmail.com

21/11/2014 at 14:21

• Alex. McElwee

Sorry reread that portion after I posted (it’s been several years since I read it, found it again after a clear out of stuff)) Apparently no admiration here is a quote from the papers “Would to god we had been spared all Officers of his stamp!” enough said I think

21/11/2014 at 03:30